Monday evening, right before Mike left to take Phil to the airport, Louis awoke from his sleep and had thrown up EVERYWHERE - all over his face and hair! I thought it was just that his grilled cheese didn't agree with him, but the vomiting continued Tuesday (Mike stayed home with him). Finally, Wednesday morning I called the Doctor's office and they had me come in right away. I was shocked to find out that Louis had Lost 1 pound since last month!! The doctor sent me home and gave me 3 1/2 hours to get 6-8 oz of fluid down him or they were going to do the IV. (I got 3 1/2 oz in and then he threw it all up) So...we went back to the doctor's and the nurse tried to get the IV in one arm without luck and then the other arm without luck. It was terrible - the whole time they were putting the tourniquet and hot pack on his arm and tapping his veins he was smiling and smiling but as soon as they poked him with that needle the smile was wiped off his face and he was screaming -and that nurse kept digging with the needle trying to get it - I seriously almost told her to stop! After 2 tries I suggested we try pedialyte in the office. Well, it didn't take long for him to throw that up too so they sent us to the ER.
During this trip to the Doctor's office Mike came down with the same bug and came home from work early - which left me taking Louis to the ER by myself. We were at the ER from 5 - 10pm and they gave him some medicine to stop the vomiting and had me give him Pedialyte from a syringe. After 2 1/2 oz and FINALLY a wet diaper, they sent me home and told me to bring back a stool sample. I waited all day Thursday for that stool sample but he had diarrhea so bad it all soaked into the diaper. Thursday after vomiting in his brand new car seat I decided that I was getting that sample one way or the other. I tried to sit Louis on a Tupperware but he kept taking that out and chewing on it, so I set him in the laundry basket without a diaper while feeding him Pedialyte through a syringe. I made him sit in that basket for one hour and NOTHING happened. Friday morning I got my sample finally and took it by the lab. Today was the first day that Louis didn't throw up and the diarrhea seems to be tapering. Now we need to slowly start adding solids back into his diet and get his weight back up!
2 comments:
you are one creative mommy, marce! i love the basket picture! :) sorry to hear about the IVs -- that sucks. hope everyone in the house is feeling better soon (i.e. no laundry baskets). miss and love you guys!
julie
oh marcie! That is no fun- i remember Ella getting poked on seperate times when they tried to start an iv on her during our er trip- it is such a horrible, helpless feeling. poor Louis. i hope his weight is back up. love, Amy
Post a Comment