Jul 8, 2009

To Yakima with Katy and Ed

This past 4th of July weekend we headed to Yakima with Katy and Ed. Katy and I spent the Wednesday before planning the trip - researching wineries, trying to get the best hotel at the cheapest price on Priceline and of course planning our picnic lunches. Saturday morning we met at Katy and Ed's house at 7:00am. The day actually started off pretty rough as we were late getting to Katy and Ed's (of course), I forgot my pump and baby bottle so lots of wine tasting was out, Louis was on nursing, and to top it off I didn't put the lid on my coffee very tight and it split all down the front of my white tank top!

We arrived at the first Winery, Windy Point around 11:30am. After a little wine tasting we parked ourselves outside with a bottle of wine and fruit, cheese, summer sausage and crackers and sat in the sun (it was 100 degrees!) After like 2 hours we headed to Piety Flats Winery where we did some more tasting, chatted with the workers and sat outside with a new bottle of wine and picnicked again. We then decided that we should head back since we wanted to walk around town. To our surprise the town was COMPLETELY shut down for the holiday. After sometime we finally found a coffee shop that was opened and I was really glad to get Louis out of the heat. I am sure I was being very annoying applying sunblock to him every 5 min - I was so worried that I had missed a spot. We ended up eating at a glorified Denny's for dinner since nothing was open and then stopped by Fred Meyer to buy a deck of cards. Louis had become so overtired that he was unable to fall asleep. I ended up laying him on the bed while we played Hearts. Finally, around 9pm he was looking pretty tired and Ed had the great idea to lay him down.

Well of course he falls asleep so who has to miss the fireworks? Katy and I since Mike HAD to go to take pictures of them. It was the first 4th that I remember not seeing fireworks (but Katy and I caught the New York and the Boston ones on TV). The next day we walked through the arboretum - which was technically closed and then went to one last winery - Sagelands and sat outside and played more Hearts (which is so fun!). Before heading home we ate lunch at this French Bakery which was NOT enjoyable because Louis seriously screamed the whole time (this is his new thing - its a happy scream but a scream nonetheless). Mike actually took him out of the bakery and I got his sandwich to go! We don't know why his cute little babbles turned to screams over the weekend but we hope the babbles come back soon!

We had a great trip and Katy and Ed are definitely fun to travel with - We can't wait to take more trips around Washington with them. (If they can put up with us of course :)

Pictures

0 comments: