Jun 3, 2009

To Maine for a Wedding!

This past weekend we went to Maine for Derrick and Sarah's wedding. We took the red eye to JFK on which Louis did surprisingly well. He fussed on and off for the first 50 minutes and then fell asleep for the rest of the flight. I was holding him and couldn't get comfortable and therefore did not sleep at all - but at least Louis slept like a baby! We were supposed to have a 4 hour layover at JFK but Mike being the quick thinker that he is looked at the departure board and realized that there was an earlier Portland flight that hadnt' left yet and we literally ran to the gate and they let us on!

Friday, we napped and Mike's mom happily took care of Louis (thanks!) I am sure she was more than happy to seeing that I was at her house for no more than 1 hour before I let Louis bump his head on the coffee table and get a big goose egg! Nancy had EVERYTHING I could possibly need for Louis and so all I packed for him was his diaper bag - how awesome is that? It was so stress free packing! Later in the afternoon we stopped by to visit Papa. Louis was tired but he sure was happy to sit on his great-grandpa's lap for awhile :) Friday night Mike went out to dinner with his dad but I was still exhausted from not having slept so Louis, Nancy and I ate pasta and hung out.

Saturday morning Mike and his mom let me sleep in. As soon as Louis awoke Mike took him from his crib and put him in the stroller right away and they walked him to Dunkin' Donuts. (Mike and I have been talking about Dunkin' Donuts for the past week since they don't have them where we live). I slept till 9am but told them they were very brave taking a baby who hadn't eaten since 4am to the Donuts Store -but Louis did great! Saturday was the wedding. It was at a country club with an outdoor ceremony -sunny and warm, it was a beautiful day! The wedding went smoothly except for the maid of honor leaving Derricks ring downstairs in the dressing room and the best man dropping Sarah's ring as he was handing it to Derrick!! Derrick and Sarah took it all in stride though! Dinner was great and so was the dancing! Nana kept Louis and he did well for her -even took his bottle which is amazing since he has been boycotting it.

Sunday, we went to Rob and Stephanie's and saw there new house (which is HUGE and was built in 1890 and filled with so much history). As soon as we arrived it was time for Louis' nap. Steph let me put him down in their daughter Caroline's crib. It was so sad - Louis was as happy as can be until he caught site of the crib and then he started screaming!! The more I rocked him the madder he got. I knew he needed a nap and so I had to whip out the secret weapon - the boob - and that put him right to sleep and he slept for 2 hours while we sat on the porch, drank cappuccino's (which Mike managed to spill all over himself), and played with Caroline who is 14 months old. Later in the after noon we stopped by Aunt Liz and Uncle Roy's to say hi who happened to have authentic Italian meatballs on the stove so we couldn't leave unless we had a few of those -yum! Later in the evening, Mike's dad picked us up and took us to dinner. I had a whole lobster and it was great. Louis slept almost the entire dinner. We spent the night at Mike's dad's and in the morning walked to Dunkin' Donuts and ate at the beach!

Monday we had to say goodbye - Mike's mom got part of the day off so she could see us and take us to the airport. It wasn't as sad of a goodbye as usual because Nancy will be out in 6 weeks for a week and a half! Louis did well on the way home too - he was a little fussy but not to bad at all! It is just so hard to hold a baby on your lap for so long and we both agreed that we are going to take a break from flying with him (after our Minnesota trip in 2 weeks of course!)

These short trips across the country are difficult and make it hard to see everyone. Mike and I both wish we would have spent a bit more time in Maine. We had a great trip but hopefully next time we'll be there for a while longer :)

Pictures

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was soooo wonderful having you come to Maine. Miss you :)
Hugs & Kisses,
Mumma (Nana) G