Mike participated in his first Kayak race on Saturday December 12th. The race took place on the sound about 2 hours north of Tacoma at Deception Pass which is on the sound. Mike and his buddy drove up early to get parking, while Katie, Ed, Louis and I followed. We made it just in time to see the start of the race! Last year it was really windy during the race with 5 foot swells and everyone kept falling out of their kayaks and needed to be rescued, but this time all was calm -which made me happy
, but Mike was a little disappointed - he was looking for adventure. Since the race began in the state park, after we watched the start, we were able to walk about 3/4 of a mile up a trail and stand over a beautiful bridge and watch Mike pass under us! He looked great and placed 17 out of 79 in his class! The race was 6 miles long. It was cold out and even though I had Louis bundled up as best I could his hands were still a little cold after being outside for 1 1/2 hours.
(He didn't complain though - he slept the whole time in the back pack, like always - I thought he might be fearful since his clumsy mom was carrying him and not his mule of a father). After the race Katy, Ed, Louis and I grabbed lunch before heading back home!
1 comments:
Congrats to Mike! Sounds like fun.
Post a Comment