Nov 2, 2008

Our 1st ER trip with Louis

It took less than 24 hours after being discharged from the baby ward for Mom & Dad to get worried :) Louis decided to vomit after three consecutive feedings and hadn't had a wet diaper in 13 hours. It was enough to worry us (it doesn't take much) so we gave the nurse a call. She recommended we bring him on in... So we did.

All the vitals checked out okay (of course) and as the doctor removed the diaper he noticed Louis had had a bowel movement. The doctor left us to clean him up and as inexperienced parents we were too slow with the diaper change and Louis showed us how he could pee over his head! Yup, boys are fun, aren't they.

After we got everything cleaned up, we thought we would be on our way back home but doc said we had to stay for 2-3 more hours! He said this was to confirm everything was still going okay but I think it's his little way of punishing new parents for being overly concerned :) However, it was worth it as Marcie was able to feed him without any vomit!

Of course he was fine. If the amount of times we brought our cat to the vet is any indication, we are in for many, many, more false alarms. The rest of the weekend has gone very well so far. The trip home from the hospital (the first time) was nice, especially with the big welcoming party waiting at home. Unfortunately, Anne has left already to go back to school and Kate leaves tomorrow. Grandma and Grandpa H get to hang around until Wednesday which is such a big help!

Now the only thing we have to worry about is how to get him in all the Halloween outfits we bought him. ... and trying to figure out when I have to go back to work :(

9 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahhahahahahahhhaahhaa....

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about that boy thing. A little cloth over the family jewels during changing times goes a long way :) Been there, done that. Can't wait to see everyone.
Hugs,
Mumma G

Anonymous said...

I would have done the same thing! I'm glad everything turned out okay. He looks so cute in the Halloween outfits!!

Anonymous said...

I believe they're called "pee-pee tee-pees." And don't worry, as you improve so wont his aim!! : )

Karla

Maria said...

Congrats you two!!!! Little Louis is adorable. I'm glad that everything was ok with him. Marce- you are hard core! No pain meds?!?!? You are my hero. :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! :-D I think we told you about our inaugural trip to the ER when you were out here last. Welcome to the Paranoid New Parents Club! I don't think you're too far off with thinking the doctor may 'punish' new parents for coming in with false alarms. When we went in, not only did we have to wait for three hours to see a doctor at 2 in the morning, but after checking the vitals, they told us they only way they could "test" for something wrong was to poke, prod, stick, and put tubes in our newborn. Okay! We'll rough it out next time, we get it -- geez! Glad everyone's healthy and peeing like they're supposed to!

Mike said...

We found the pee pee tee pee's but something tells me this isn't going to work out so well. This kid has a lot of power and I see these little caps flyin right off the top!

Anonymous said...

The PPTP's are cute, but millions of women survived without them. I bet you can to.

I'd take Mumma G's advice and utilize the materials you have--literally. : P

Up next--simultaneous eruptions from all three holes!!

Karla

Kate said...

Ha! I probably would have done the same thing. Good to hear that everything is okay. I can't believe how much hair he has!
I've been peed on enough to have learned a little trick.... Put the new diaper under the dirty one and get it all ready, so all you have to do is pull the dirty one out and cover him up with the new one! I've avoided my sister's little boy spraying me a few times already :)