Another snow storm today in Seattle! After moving here I asked my co-workers how often it snowed in the city. The answer was every two to three years. Since it snowed last year, I figured I wouldn't get to witness the mayhem following a snow storm in a city that's not used to it. This is the second big storm to hit Seattle this winter (big meaning more than 1 inch of snow). That's a big deal to a city with of almost 4 million people but only 30 plows! This city doesn't even have decent de-icing materials and, believe it or not, just 1 truck fitted with the equipment! Fortunately, the first storm hit while I was in the air on my way to England. This storm didn't affect my drive much either but only by luck since I left work a little early. Jim (now our neighbor) has not been so lucky. Tonight his commute (usually 45 minutes) was over 3 hours! During the last storm his commute home was over 5 hours! Poor Jim, he used to be able to walk home. In any case, it's still snowing so Marcie and I stepped out on the balcony to take a look. As much as it slows everything down, we still love it when it snows.
Jan 10, 2007
Snow in Seattle
Another snow storm today in Seattle! After moving here I asked my co-workers how often it snowed in the city. The answer was every two to three years. Since it snowed last year, I figured I wouldn't get to witness the mayhem following a snow storm in a city that's not used to it. This is the second big storm to hit Seattle this winter (big meaning more than 1 inch of snow). That's a big deal to a city with of almost 4 million people but only 30 plows! This city doesn't even have decent de-icing materials and, believe it or not, just 1 truck fitted with the equipment! Fortunately, the first storm hit while I was in the air on my way to England. This storm didn't affect my drive much either but only by luck since I left work a little early. Jim (now our neighbor) has not been so lucky. Tonight his commute (usually 45 minutes) was over 3 hours! During the last storm his commute home was over 5 hours! Poor Jim, he used to be able to walk home. In any case, it's still snowing so Marcie and I stepped out on the balcony to take a look. As much as it slows everything down, we still love it when it snows.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Here I am in Thionville, where they supposedly get DUMPED on by snow every year, but I've gotten nothing so far ... all the locals are stupefied ... And you're over there in Seattle--a city with only 30-something snow plows--and you have a winter wonderland??! Unbelievable.
Make the most of that snow! (I know you will.) Can't WAIT to see you two so we can make the most of some snow over here, too!
Hey guys,
I'm anxiously waiting for a new post. What's up?!? You started this trend and now you are slacking! sigh. Anyway, I hope you are doing great!!! Are you guys going to visit Kate?! I'm trying to decode her comment!
Hope to see you soon,
Miss you,
Laura
um... are you guys still alive out there??
Laura, I'll fill you in: Marcie AND Mike are coming to visit me during the first week in April!!!!! I can hardly wait! We're going to travel in eastern France, near Switzerland, and try to do some skiing in the Alps.
I hear Audrey's baptism is coming up soon ... I HATE to miss it! Hope everything is perfect! Tell her I'll be home in May.
Love, Kate
Post a Comment