Aug 28, 2006

Julie and Daniel come to town

Wednesday evening Daniel and Julie flew in for a visit to Seattle - but not without a hassle as Julie's bag did not get here. As usual, Julie was not worried and her bag showed up later that evening! Mike welcomed them with a fabulous steak dinner! Thursday night Mike had class and so the three of us picked up Katie and Jim and went to Fremont. First we had drinks at George and the Dragon - an English Pub and then we went to my favorite Thai place for dinner. We had such a great time that Daniel had to drive us home! Friday at work was a little rough but I got home early (Julie and Daniel explored Seattle) and we rested and then ate dinner at Olive Garden. Daniel unfortunately had a 1:00am flight Saturday morning.

Saturday Mike, Julie and I got up and packed for our camping trip. We couldn't let Julie go without experiencing our favorite place - Olympic National Park. We drove to Third Beach, hiked 1 1/2 miles to the beach and then had to climb up and over a cliff to get to the rest of the beach, which was another 2 miles. The climb was pretty technical - there were ladders to climb that were almost vertical and ropes to help pull you up - look at the pictures! It was well worth it because we ended up on the most beautiful beach with rock formations scattered just off the coast, and rocky beach and many starfish that we had to save during low tide. We pitched our tents about 2 feet away from high tide. I didn't sleep well because I kept worrying the tide was going to carry us out to sea! We found a small fresh water stream that ran down the hillside and into the ocean. We were able to catch some water to boil our spaghetti but the water was still muddy even after putting it through the filter. Good thing we are not picky. We had tons of smores while sitting by our driftwood fire. The stars were probably as bright as I have ever seen them since the sliver of moon that existed was hidden behind the fog bank on the horizon. We went to bed at midnight and Julie and I were surprised that Mike stayed in his own tent and didn't get scared and try to stay in our tent. In the morning we hiked back out and had a relaxing evening at home with Mike's Signature Salmon and Julie and I made fabulous peach cobbler!
*People*
*Landscapes*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had such a great time guys! Drinks, dinner, and camping were all so much fun! 2009 -- move back to MN! I'll even babysit! Until then, I'll just have to visit lots! Can't wait to come back out in October! Thanks again guys! Oh and Daniel says next time that we come out, he's coming to get his bag out of your room! =)

Unknown said...

Ok so I am officially not a slacker anymore... i posted enough crap for the last two months!

Unknown said...

ahhhhhhh...are you pregnant marcie? whats this about people offering to babysit?!!!!!!