May 30, 2006

For My Dad

Every time I come home my dad tells me about the signs on the doors at Target and how they don't make sense. In fact the last time I was home, my dad was so bothered by this blunder that he actually had me bring a camera into Target and take a picture. These signs are found inside the first set of doors looking out into the parking lot. And truly, any way you look at it, it is written improperly. "Do Not Enter" must mean do not enter these doors to go into the parking lot. If it was meant for the customers entering the store, the "Do Not Enter" sign would have to be on the opposite side of the door. This "Do Not Enter" sign is then contradicted by the "Enter Only" sign beneath it in the first picture. If the "Enter Only" part is to warn customers that people on the other side of the door will be using this door as an entrance then that should be specified since the term "enter" is being used in the above sign to refer to customers who are entering the door to EXIT the store. The next sign, which was on the neighboring door, first tells customers "Do Not Enter" (this door to exit the store) but then on the sign below it says "Not an exit" now here they are using the terms ENTER and EXIT to refer to going through the door in the same direction - moving from the entry way to the parking lot. Target should be consistent in the terminology that they use in order to keep the confusion down and to maintain the safety of the customers... Especially for easily confused people like my dad.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcie, Thank you for trying to clarify the door signs at Target, but I still don't understand all the fuss. I always seem to get in and out of Target without any problems (except for the fact that your father obsesses about the door signs when he is with me). Maybe I'm too simple to get it. Thoroughly confused in STL.
Love, Your mom

Marcie said...

Mom, I don't get what all the fuss is about either, it's just that I had these 3 pictures and I didn't want them to go to waste. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! That took a lot of thought, but it was fun to read. I laughed even harder when I read your mom's comment!! I can only imagine their trip to target.

Anonymous said...

Your Aunt Marcia told me to check our your blog. You did a great job with the graduation pictures. I am going to my local Target store tonight to look at their doors. Your Aunt Marcia is not a fan of Target. In fact, she recently filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Maybe your Dad could do the same.

Mike said...

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this posting are those of a crazy person with an easily confused father and should not be used in any legal proceedings or filings with the BBB ;)

Marcie said...

Thanks Uncle Brian! I left a message for my dad that he should file a complaint as well.

Anonymous said...

Marcie, THANK YOU for posting and thoroughly explaining dad's gripe about the target door-confusion, for all the world to see. I am sure the people will rise up shortly and demand more exact enter/exit signs. And, even more important, maybe now dad will actually make a quick trip to Target without getting distracted by his soapbox, which somehow always seems to be conveniently located right inside those automatic doors.